A lot of people have asked me how they can bond more with their horse. My philosophy is that just like with people, you need to have good experiences and good quality time to spend with your horse. Many horses are either used for a lot of competition and too little connecting time, or they are pasture ornaments with no jobs and not enough stimulation. Either of the extremes can be detrimental to your relationship with your horse.
Here are some fun things that can help you connect without a big "agenda". Let your heart and your horse be the guide!
1) Hang out together. Yes, just be together and play, groom, and breathe the fresh air.
2) Go for walks together. I take my horse along when walking, jogging, and even when I'm riding my bike.
3) Sit in the pasture with your horse and read, dream, or meditate.
4) Massage and hand groom your horse. My horses love it!
5) Let your horse choose to come to you, and let your horse choose to leave when he doesn't feel like company.
6) Go on adventures together. This is why we love horse camping and trail riding... it's relaxing, stimulating, fun and the adventure of going somewhere new bonds us closer together.
You get the idea...and you might have more ideas of your own. Let me know how it goes!
Below pictures of Karin and Link having some bonding time together.